Salted Adventures Receives A Liebster Award
NO, SERIOUSLY. Pinch myself! Yes, Salted Adventures is receiving a Liebster Award! (I really wish my autocorrect would stop trying to give me a “Lobster” Award, you feel me guys?) My very first one! Thank you, thank God! I never win anything y’all! I’m so excited!
Thank you so much Reporter On The Road for nominating Salted Adventures for this award! Florence has been a gem to me and has such a wonderful blog! Go follow her!
What is a Liebster Award?
The Liebster Award exists on the internet as a way for bloggers to award other new bloggers and foster connections throughout the blogging community! Liebster, in German, means sweetest, kindest, nicest, dearest, beloved, lovely, kind, pleasant, valued, cute, endearing, and welcome.
There are a few rules for accepting the award so that the love goes round and round…
- Accept the nomination and answer the questions given to you
- Thank the person who nominated you and share his/her blog
- Nominate up to 11 new blogs (or blogger)
- Ask 11 new questions to the people you nominated
- The cycle continues…
Reporter On The Road challenged me to answer the following questions. Here goes…
- What is your blog about? Salted Adventures is more than just a travel blog. Sure, I love posting travel advice and lifestyle pieces, but I’m really excited about developing the “Salted Stories” category. I feel a big push in my heart to devote some real estate to sharing stories of grace and service. Real people, humanitarians, philanthropists, Christ followers giving what they can with what they have. I call it: giving grace a face.
- Why did you start a blog? I decided to create Salted Adventures in December 2015. I was enrolled in a travel writing course with Matador U and overcame a huge fear by submitting my work to be published with Matador Network. When I kept hearing “Yes”, I took this as a thumbs-up from God to begin a new project. I wanted to challenge myself to push past fear everyday and set an example for others to do the same. Salted Adventures was born a few months later with the intention of celebrating travel and encouraging everyone to be the “salt of the earth”. You could say Matthew 5:13 was the inspiration for it all.
- What is the best memory of your travel experience? This is a tough one to nail down to just one answer. However, I’m all about adventure travel, so zip-lining superman style over the cloud forests of Monteverde, Costa Rica was a real win for me. It was a moment filled with wonder and whimsy. I cried.
- What is your favorite destination? Anywhere with a vibrant culture and good people, really! If I have to pick, I’d say Costa Rica is my recent favorite. The pura vida lifestyle really sunk in with me during my backpacking trip there and the generosity of the people was humbling. What a happy country.
- Do you prefer taking a suitcase or a backpack? I purchased my first backpack before my trip to Costa Rica, and I hope to never go back! The ease of getting my luggage from place to place just makes sense. I’ll save the rollaway suitcase for a time when I’m traveling in luxury…
- What do you miss the most when you’re abroad? Lounging around watching TV. It sounds silly, but one of my favorite introvert activities is cuddling up on the couch to watch my favorite show or a romantic comedy. I’ve learned to keep a few shows and movies uploaded onto my iPhone at all times. Then, I don’t even need WiFi.
- Which place would you stay forever? I haven’t found it yet. I could spend ample time in Western Europe, but I haven’t found a forever home so far.
- If you could only carry a small hand-bag to spend a year abroad, what would you put inside? My kindle, a journal/pen, a camera and the essential hygienic products. No need to be stinky ladies.
- Better solo or group traveling? Solo. I very rarely can find a travel buddy I don’t want to ditch at some point. People always have different agendas than you do, so either agree to disagree, or go it alone.
- What’s the best travel tips you can share? Know who you are and what you like to do. It’s your trip, your memories, your life. Don’t get sucked into “must-see” activities that don’t interest you and don’t let yourself be shamed by engaging in touristy stuff you really want to see. Be open to detours. Be open to amazing interactions with strangers. Be open to changing dramatically.
- Which destinations are on your bucket list for 2016? Later this year, I’m headed back to Spain! I’ll be living in Mijas, so I am hoping to head to a few places I missed on my last trip including Málaga, Seville, Valencia and Mallorca. If I can swing it, Prague, the Croatian coast, Brussels and Norway are on my list.
- How do you picture yourself in 10 years? Settled in, but still a happy traveler alongside my husband. A successful writing career under my belt and the ability to travel as a missionary/volunteer. Hopefully partnering alongside churches and nonprofits to tell their stories and help them do what they do best, love people.
*I’ll update this section as my chosen nominees accept their Liebster!
My questions for the nominees:
- What is your blog about and why did you start it?
- What is your favourite unique travel experience/destination?
- What is the oddest food you’ve eaten abroad (that you loved)?
- What’s the nicest thing someone has done for you while traveling?
- What are the top five places still on your bucket list?
- Where is your favorite place to travel solo?
- What’s the one thing you never travel without?
- Are you a trip-planner or an in-the-moment adventurer?
- What both challenges and inspires you most about traveling?
- What is the best piece of blogging advice you’ve received?
- Where can people find you? (share your social media links)
Ok nominees… now it’s your turn! Go spread the LOVE!